W. James Singleton born in the small town of Frierson, Louisiana. He attended college at Southern University in Baton Rouge and law school at Southern University School of Law. After he finished law school he immediately established his own solo practice and was elected to the Caddo Parish Police Trial Jury in 1976.
Singleton has also been a member of the Louisiana State Legislature, from 1983 to 1996, and a former Assistant State Attorney General.
Affiliated with the Following Institutions:
- Louisiana Law Institute (former member)
- Board of Governors-Lawyers (former member)
- Ethics Committee Chairman – Shreveport Bar Association
- Committee on Judiciary Louisiana State Legislature (former chairman)
- Committee on Civil Law Louisiana State Legislature (former chairman)
- Executive Committee of the Louisiana Trial Lawyers